Invest in a First-of-Its-Kind Natural Gas ETF

Jim Woods

Jim Woods has over 20 years of experience in the markets from working as a stockbroker, financial journalist, and money manager.

The First Trust Natural Gas ETF (NYSEARCA:FCG) tracks U.S. companies that derive a substantial portion of their revenue from the exploration & production of natural gas.

FCG is the first exchange-traded fund (ETF) of its kind, giving a dedicated exposure to the U.S. natural gas market. Fortunately, the fund does a sufficient job of capturing the concentrated space.

The fund selects from companies that are involved in natural gas in some capacity, dedicating 15% of its portfolio to master limited partnerships (MLPs) and the remaining 85% to equities. It then applies linear cap-weighted rankings to each bucket.

The index is constructed by establishing the universe of U.S. listed stocks of companies involved in the exploration and production of natural gas. Companies whose natural gas reserves do not meet certain requirements are eliminated.

The index is designed to track the performance of mid- and large-cap companies that derive a substantial portion of their revenues from midstream activities and/or the exploration and production of natural gas.

To meet index eligibility, a stock must also satisfy market capitalization, liquidity and weighting concentration requirements. All eligible operating companies and MLP stocks are ranked on both liquidity and market capitalization within their segments.

Weights within each segment are scaled so that the largest weight is a multiple of the smallest weight. The Index is optimized for liquidity and market capitalization at the component level.

Stock Courtesy of StockCharts.com

FCG has $701.2 million in assets under management, and it has an average spread of 0.5%. The fund’s expense ratio is 0.60%.

Average daily trading volume and market cap are factored in both selection and weighting. The resulting portfolio is a near-perfect representation of the market. The index is rebalanced and reconstituted on a quarterly basis.

As always, I am happy to answer any of your questions about ETFs, so do not hesitate to send me an email. You just may see your question answered in a future ETF Talk.

share on:

Like This Article?
Now Get Jim's FREE Special Report:
The Top 11 Dividend ETFs to
Buy Right Now

Get up to 5X the yields of traditional income plays.

Get Access to the Report, 100% FREE


img
share on:

PREMIUM SERVICES FOR INVESTORS

Dr. Mark Skousen

Named one of the "Top 20 Living Economists," Dr. Skousen is a professional economist, investment expert, university professor, and author of more than 25 books.

Product Details

  • Forecasts & Strategies
  • Home Run Trader
  • Fast Money Alert
  • Five Star Trader
  • TNT Trader
LEARN MORE HERE

Bryan Perry

A former Wall Street financial advisor with three decades' experience, Bryan Perry focuses his efforts on high-yield income investing and quick-hitting options plays.

Product Details

  • Cash Machine
  • Premium Income (exclusively for subscribers of Cash Machine)
  • Quick Income Trader
  • Breakout Options Alert
  • Hi-Tech Trader
LEARN MORE HERE

Jim Woods

Jim Woods has over 20 years of experience in the markets from working as a stockbroker,
financial journalist, and money manager. As well as a book author and regular contributor to
numerous investment websites, Jim is the editor of:

Product Details

  • Successful Investing
  • High Velocity Options
  • Intelligence Report
  • Bullseye Stock Trader
LEARN MORE HERE

Bob Carlson

Bob Carlson provides independent, objective research covering all the financial issues of retirement and retirement planning. In addition, Bob serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Fairfax County (VA) Employees’ Retirement System, which has over $2.8 billion in assets.

Product Details

  • Retirement Watch
  • Retirement Watch Spotlight Series
  • Lifetime Retirement Protection Program
LEARN MORE HERE

Jon Johnson

Jon Johnson's philosophy in investing and trading is to take what the market gives you regardless if that is to the upside or downside. For the past 21 years, Jon has helped thousands of clients gain success in the financial markets through his newsletters and education services:

Product Details

  • Investment House Daily
  • Stock of the Week
  • Technical Traders Alert
  • Success Trading Group
LEARN MORE HERE

DividendInvestor.com

Used by financial advisors and individual investors all over the world, DividendInvestor.com is the premier provider and one-stop shop for dividend information and research.

Product Details

Popular tools include our proprietary Dividend Calendar, Dividend Calculator, Dividend Score Card, and many more.

  • Dividend Investor
LEARN MORE HERE