ETF Talk: Putting Industrials to Work for You

Doug Fabian

Doug Fabian is known for his expert knowledge of ETFs, bear funds and enhanced index funds to profit in any market climate.

Let’s look at the housing recovery. The rebound actually began last year, about five years after the housing bubble burst. Key reasons for the resurgence are an improving labor market and low mortgage rates, which have caused an increase in home buying. One way to capitalize on what is projected to be a continued and successful recovery for the housing market is to buy an exchange-traded fund such as the Industrial Select Sector SPDR (XLI).

This non-diversified fund seeks investment results that, before expenses, correspond generally to the price and yield of companies in The Industrial Select Sector Index. That index includes companies in the industrial conglomerates, machinery, road & rail, electrical equipment, construction & engineering and building products industries.

XLI rose 10.14% in 2012, and it already is up 4.83% so far this year. If you like income, the fund yields 2.27%. The housing recovery should continue to boost XLI’s per-share gains. Increased housing prices also boost the wealth of homeowners, and a byproduct can be further spending and economic growth.

As expected with a sector ETF, XLI has 99.51% of its holdings in the industrials sector. The remaining 0.49% is invested in basic materials. The fund’s top ten holdings comprise 48.83% of its total assets. The top holding is General Electric, which constitutes a sizable 12.06% of XLI’s assets. The next four top holdings are United Technologies, 5.31%; Union Pacific, 4.76%; Caterpillar, 4.62%; and 3M, 4.48%.

As the housing recovery continues, the industrials sector and XLI should benefit. If you invest in the fund, you will have a chance to ride the momentum, too.

Exclusive  Tangled Up In Capitulation   

If you want my advice about buying and selling specific ETFs, including appropriate stop losses, please consider subscribing to my Successful Investing newsletter. As always, I am happy to answer any of your questions about ETFs, so do not hesitate to email me by clicking here. You just may see your question answered in a future ETF Talk.

share on:
share on:


Dr. Mark Skousen

Named one of the "Top 20 Living Economists," Dr. Skousen is a professional economist, investment expert, university professor, and author of more than 25 books.

Product Details

  • Forecasts & Strategies
  • Home Run Trader
  • Fast Money Alert
  • Five Star Trader
  • TNT Trader

Bryan Perry

A former Wall Street financial advisor with three decades' experience, Bryan Perry focuses his efforts on high-yield income investing and quick-hitting options plays.

Product Details

  • Cash Machine
  • Premium Income PRO (exclusively for subscribers of Cash Machine)
  • Quick Income Trader
  • Breakout Options Alert
  • Hi-Tech Trader

Jim Woods

Jim Woods has over 20 years of experience in the markets from working as a stockbroker,
financial journalist, and money manager. As well as a book author and regular contributor to
numerous investment websites, Jim is the editor of:

Product Details

  • Successful Investing
  • High Velocity Options
  • Intelligence Report
  • Bullseye Stock Trader
  • Eagle Eye Opener

Bob Carlson

Bob Carlson provides independent, objective research covering all the financial issues of retirement and retirement planning. In addition, Bob serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Fairfax County (VA) Employees’ Retirement System, which has over $2.8 billion in assets.

Product Details

  • Retirement Watch
  • Retirement Watch Spotlight Series
  • Lifetime Retirement Protection Program

Jon Johnson

Jon Johnson's philosophy in investing and trading is to take what the market gives you regardless if that is to the upside or downside. For the past 21 years, Jon has helped thousands of clients gain success in the financial markets through his newsletters and education services:

Product Details

  • Investment House Daily
  • Stock of the Week
  • Technical Traders Alert
  • Rapid Profits Stock Trader

Used by financial advisors and individual investors all over the world, is the premier provider and one-stop shop for dividend information and research.

Product Details

Popular tools include our proprietary Dividend Calendar, Dividend Calculator, Dividend Score Card, and many more.

  • Dividend Investor