ETF Talk: Ready to Energize Your Portfolio?

Doug Fabian

Doug Fabian is known for his expert knowledge of ETFs, bear funds and enhanced index funds to profit in any market climate.

After a few weeks spent examining narrow segments of the energy sector, today’s ETF Talk takes the opposite approach by zooming out to look at the energy industry as a whole. An exchange-traded fund (ETF) which takes such a wide-lens perspective is the Energy Select Sector SPDR (XLE). With demand in energy practically guaranteed to continue increasing, any fund that invests in many different methods of energy production is sure to profit.

XLE is a non-diversified fund that seeks, before expenses, investment results which correspond generally to the performance of companies in an index which includes companies in the oil, gas and consumable fuels, and energy equipment and services industries.

The fund has gained 7.54% so far this year, and it offers a quarterly dividend, reaching a yield of 1.67%. As the chart shows, the fund has recovered nicely from a dip last May. XLE seems ready to resume an upward move, especially as developing nations demand ever-increasing amounts of the global energy supply and the United States consequently is working on developing a measure of energy independence through domestic supplies.

This ETF’s holdings clearly demonstrate its status as an energy fund: 98.71% of its assets are invested in the sector. The remaining 1.29% is in the basic materials sector, presumably because basic materials are needed to build the infrastructure energy requires. XLE’s top ten individually held companies comprise 60.09% of its total assets and include some names recognizable to the common consumer. The top five of these are: Exxon Mobile Corporation, 17.62%; Chevron Corporation, 14.98%; Schlumberger N.V., 6.90%; Occidental Petroleum Corporation, 3.73%; and ConocoPhillips, 3.33%.

Exclusive  Seven Inflation-Shelter Investments to Buy Amid Famine Fears 

As the last few weeks of ETF Talk articles have shown, the best energy investment at the moment is traditional fuels. XLE’s heavy allocation to established public fuel companies is a sign that the fund is going with what the market is rewarding. As demand increases further, expect XLE, with its sight cast on the broad spectrum of the energy industry, to capitalize on the rising profits such demand will produce.

If you want my advice about buying and selling specific ETFs, including appropriate stop losses, please consider subscribing to my Successful Investing newsletter. As always, I am happy to answer any of your questions about ETFs, so do not hesitate to email me by clicking here. You may see your question answered in a future ETF Talk.

share on:
share on:


Dr. Mark Skousen

Named one of the "Top 20 Living Economists," Dr. Skousen is a professional economist, investment expert, university professor, and author of more than 25 books.

Product Details

  • Forecasts & Strategies
  • Home Run Trader
  • Fast Money Alert
  • Five Star Trader
  • TNT Trader

Bryan Perry

A former Wall Street financial advisor with three decades' experience, Bryan Perry focuses his efforts on high-yield income investing and quick-hitting options plays.

Product Details

  • Cash Machine
  • Premium Income PRO (exclusively for subscribers of Cash Machine)
  • Quick Income Trader
  • Breakout Options Alert
  • Hi-Tech Trader

Jim Woods

Jim Woods has over 20 years of experience in the markets from working as a stockbroker,
financial journalist, and money manager. As well as a book author and regular contributor to
numerous investment websites, Jim is the editor of:

Product Details

  • Successful Investing
  • High Velocity Options
  • Intelligence Report
  • Bullseye Stock Trader
  • Eagle Eye Opener

Bob Carlson

Bob Carlson provides independent, objective research covering all the financial issues of retirement and retirement planning. In addition, Bob serves as Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Fairfax County (VA) Employees’ Retirement System, which has over $2.8 billion in assets.

Product Details

  • Retirement Watch
  • Retirement Watch Spotlight Series
  • Lifetime Retirement Protection Program

Jon Johnson

Jon Johnson's philosophy in investing and trading is to take what the market gives you regardless if that is to the upside or downside. For the past 21 years, Jon has helped thousands of clients gain success in the financial markets through his newsletters and education services:

Product Details

  • Investment House Daily
  • Stock of the Week
  • Technical Traders Alert
  • Rapid Profits Stock Trader

Used by financial advisors and individual investors all over the world, is the premier provider and one-stop shop for dividend information and research.

Product Details

Popular tools include our proprietary Dividend Calendar, Dividend Calculator, Dividend Score Card, and many more.

  • Dividend Investor